Regulatory Reform Initiatives
Goal: To provide support, analysis and feedback towards a policy framework that supports the State’s energy goals across all energy sectors to reaching 90% by 2050.
Pollinator-Friendly Solar Initiative – A Win-Win-Win for Agriculture, Clean Energy and…Bees
What if land under solar arrays in Vermont could be used to promote pollinator-friendly vegetation? EAN, together with UVM’s Gund Institute, UVM’s Ag Extension, VT Audubon, and several other partners are leading an effort to promote this initiative in Vermont. Read more here for a full description (PDF).
To learn more about how you can participate, check out the following:
- Vermont Pollinator Habitat Scorecard: To guide the process of site and seed mix planning/designing. These voluntary standards, developed by Vermont experts, draw on the successful MN model that has generated exponential growth in pollinator friendly solar over the past year (over 2300 acres!):
- Pollinator Friendly Solar Forum
- Opening Remarks – Dr. Taylor Ricketts, Director UVM Gund Institute
- Opening Presentation – Rob Davis, Fresh Energy
- Participating Environmental Consultants List – please contact us if you would like your company to be added
- Potential Pollinator-Friendly Solar Pilots in Vermont – please contact us if you would like your project to be added to the list
- Supporting Studies: Learn about how this initiative has sparked national interest and bipartisan legislative support in MN, MD and WI. National Audubon views it as one of its core achievements in 2016.
- NREL Overview of Opportunities for Co-Location of Agriculture and Solar (PDF)
- NREL Solar Pollinators (PDF)
- The Effects of Solar Farms on Local Biodiversity – UK (PDF)
- Standard for Bird and Pollinator friendly Solar Sites (PDF)
- Op Ed – Brian Riddle, CEO Homestead Gardens (PDF)
- Can Solar Sites Help Save Bees? (Bee Culture)
- Minnesota Solar Sanctuaries for Birds, Bees, and Pollinators (Prairie Restorations, Inc.)
- Sample Documents: Learn about tools that were developed in Minnesota to help guide the planning for the rapid growth of pollinator friendly solar in 2016-2017.
- Additional Helpful Information:
HOW TO: Prairie Establishment & Maintenance Technical Guidance for Solar Projects Minnesota Department of Natural Resources